|Title:||Food Service Supervisor (2013/2014) - Palmer|
POSITION: Food Service Supervisor
SEASON(S): Austral Summer and/or Austral Winter
LOCATION: Palmer Station, Antarctica
SECTOR/DEPT: GSC Antarctica
Currently seeking a Food Service Supervisor (Palmer Station) - Responsible for instituting and monitoring total quality control and quality assurance of the policies, standards and procedural implementations set forth by the food services department; employee issues; assisting and directing all positions as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Functions as senior food services representative at Palmer Station.
- Displays strong leadership, communication and organizational skills in a diverse supervisory capacity.
- Motivates self and others in physically challenging and atypical work environment.
- Agrees with and adheres to the Standard Operating Procedures and tasking responsibilities of the food services department.
- Monitors daily food service operations regarding policy, personnel and production.
- Monitors overall quality, preparation, production and presentation of food on all shifts for all dining locations, functions and special events.
- Responsible for documenting and communicating daily operational and personnel information to Executive Chef.
- Initiates and/or approves significant menu changes. Coordinates menu planning and adjustments; ordering and receiving of food. Monitors availability of ingredients; make adjustments when necessary. Coordinates placement of weekly food order among Sous Chefs. Orders fresh produce as needed. Conducts weekly menu planning meetings with Sous Chefs.
- Monitors compliance with safety and sanitation standards within the kitchen, serving area and dining area, in conjunction with the Chef.
- Responsible for proper documentation of food temperature logs, production records, and any other documentation required in regards to food safety and sanitation.
- Monitors adherence to proper labeling and dating of food; adherence to recipes and proper cooking techniques.
- Responsible for personnel scheduling: deployment, redeployment and weekly work schedules.
- Communicates and coordinates with Sous Chef(s) daily for timely and efficient utilization of leftovers, production information and fresh produce.
- Assists in resolving disputes and counsel employees on issues that shift leaders are unable to resolve.
- Works closely with Culinary Manager to initiate progressive changes in the long-term and short-term operational goals of the food service department; may involve research and technical writing.
- Responsible for disseminating information to personnel as needed for efficient daily operations.
- Performs duties in support of Infrastructure and Operations Division metrics. Trains and orients subordinate employees on performance, documentation and activities that affect the achievement Infrastructure and Operations Division metrics.
- Adequately and honestly track all data related to metrics. Supports the achievement of ASC metrics, whether metrics can be directly or indirectly, affected by this position’s activities.
- Provides direct support, using staff resources if necessary, to the achievement of all metrics related to ASC.
- Complies with all ASC Environmental Health & Safety, and Quality Assurance, requirements and goals. Provides documentation to these divisions as necessary to ensure adequate and legal documentation.
- Ensures that all subordinate employees are trained and understand ASC Environmental Health & Safety, and Quality Assurance, requirements and goals. Maintains documentation as necessary to meet these requirements.
- Works to achieve ASC goals and contractual commitments
- Participates in and/or conducts inter- and intra- departmental meetings as required, including but not limited to weekly safety meetings, weekly production meetings, and weekly supervisors meeting,
- Assists and supervises in all areas of the kitchen, serving and dining areas.
- Interacts with customers to obtain feedback on food quality, service, menu selection and sanitation; make adjustments accordingly.
- Monitors and augments instruction to all personnel on the proper use, care and cleaning of equipment.
- Assigns tasks and projects to personnel in addition to their daily tasks to maintain the overall organization of the food service department.
- Informs Sous Chefs of all events that cause population fluctuation at primary and satellite dining areas.
- Plans and organizes meals for special occasions.
- Monitors the planning, ordering, preparation, service and clean-up of all food-related functions involving Distinguished Visitors to McMurdo.
- Able to stand for up to twelve hours a day six days a week.
- Able to lift up the safety regulation maximum from the floor to a table or cart in a safe manner.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining a safe workplace program and ensuring that safety is the highest priority in the workplace.
- Ability to manage and follow through over winter projects as needed.
- Performs other duties as required.
EDUCATION: High school education or GED is required. Graduate of a culinary arts program is required with additional apprenticeship program preferred.
CERTIFICATIONS AND/OR LICENSING REQUIREMENTS: Valid Driver’s License required. ServSafe®Train the Trainer certificate required. ACF Certification desirable.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 7 years cooking experience, with 4 years supervisory responsibilities in high volume (not including convenience or fast-food) facilities with diverse populations is required.
OTHER: US citizenship required.
Gana-A’Yoo Services Corporation (GSC) an Alaska Native Corporation has offered outstanding Janitorial and Food Services for over 10 years. GSC has an exceptional record for providing food and janitorial services with ongoing contracts in many facilities types, such as, military training facilities, emergency management centers and temporary and field sites. Utilizing state of the art environmentally friendly cleaning products we create healthier surroundings, promote productivity, reduce costs, and increase safety of buildings. Our Food Services are committed to customer satisfaction and thorough quality control processes resulting in successful competitions for quality of service awards including the U.S. Air Force “Best Dining Facility” in Air Combat Command and runner up to the Ney award for best dining facility in the Navy.
GSC in partnership with ESS Support Services, a Division of Compass Group, will provide operational management support. ESS Support Services is the market leader in providing remote camp and catering services to clients, wherever their location, no matter how extreme the environment may be. Services extend across North America and include such diverse facilities as drilling, mining, construction, pipeline and logging camps, offshore, governmental agencies and others. Payroll and benefits supported by Compass Group
Our goal is to improve the quality of work life by using fair and consistent treatment and providing equal growth opportunities for ALL associates. EOE & AA Employer M/F/D/V.