Baker, Production (2013/2014) - McMurdo
|Title:||Baker, Production (2013/2014) - McMurdo|
DescriptionPOSITION: Baker, Production
SEASON(S): Austral Summer
LOCATION: McMurdo Station, Antarctica
SECTOR/DEPT: GSC Antarctica
Currently seeking a Baker, Production - Responsible for producing high quality, large volume breads and/or desserts and pastries as directed by Baker, Lead or Executive Chef; maintaining clean and sanitary work areas, equipment and tools in a professional manner; assisting Baker, Lead and others as necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Functions as shift leader in the absence of the Baker, Lead; all other duties performed under the supervision of the Baker, Lead and/or Chef.
- Responsible for preparation of all assigned menu items for primary and satellite locations, utilizing proper baking techniques; ensure quality of the food’s taste and presentation.
- Responsible for proper labeling and dating of food, and efficient utilization of leftovers.
- Able to follow standardized recipes as well as develop high-volume recipes as needed.
- Agrees with and adheres to the Standard Operating Procedures and tasking responsibilities of the food services department.
- Responsible for maintaining sanitation standards of work areas, cold and hot storage areas and service areas.
- Responsible for proper use and timely cleaning of equipment and tools.
- Responsible for complying with all standards of safety and sanitation in the kitchen and service areas.
- Works in coordination with Stewards to ensure timely transfer and scraping of dirty pots to pot-washing area.
- Displays leadership abilities, good communication and organizational skills.
- Able to work in a team unit composed of diverse personalities.
- Displays self-motivation in physically challenging and atypical working environments.
- Able to maintain flexibility and a positive attitude in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Performs duties in support of Infrastructure and Operations Division metrics (as provided by supervisor).
- Supports the achievement of ASC metrics, whether metrics are directly or indirectly, effected by this position’s work activities.
- Complies with all ASC Environmental Health & Safety, and Quality Assurance, requirements and goals. Provides documentation to these divisions as necessary to ensure adequate and legal documentation.
- Works to achieve ASC goals and contractual commitments.
- Able to stand for up to 9 hours daily.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe workplace program and ensuring safety is the highest priority in the work place.
- Able to lift up to the safety regulation maximum in a safe manner.
- Performs other duties as required.
CERTIFICATIONS AND/OR LICENSING REQUIREMENTS: Valid Driver’s License. Current ServSafe®Food Handler certificate required.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum 2 years baking wide varieties of products in a commercial setting, with 1 year in a hotel, large volume restaurant or upscale institutional setting. Minimum 1 year scratch baking experience required. Prior high volume experience baking bread is preferred.
OTHER: US citizenship required.
Gana-A’Yoo Services Corporation (GSC) an Alaska Native Corporation has offered outstanding Janitorial and Food Services for over 10 years. GSC has an exceptional record for providing food and janitorial services with ongoing contracts in many facilities types, such as, military training facilities, emergency management centers and temporary and field sites. Utilizing state of the art environmentally friendly cleaning products we create healthier surroundings, promote productivity, reduce costs, and increase safety of buildings. Our Food Services are committed to customer satisfaction and thorough quality control processes resulting in successful competitions for quality of service awards including the U.S. Air Force “Best Dining Facility” in Air Combat Command and runner up to the Ney award for best dining facility in the Navy.
GSC in partnership with ESS Support Services, a Division of Compass Group, will provide operational management support. ESS Support Services is the market leader in providing remote camp and catering services to clients, wherever their location, no matter how extreme the environment may be. Services extend across North America and include such diverse facilities as drilling, mining, construction, pipeline and logging camps, offshore, governmental agencies and others. Payroll and benefits supported by Compass Group
Our goal is to improve the quality of work life by using fair and consistent treatment and providing equal growth opportunities for ALL associates. EOE & AA Employer M/F/D/V.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications